Friday, June 13, 2008

Planz

That's right, folks, I am officially over my mini-panic and back into the realm of excitement.

Because Team Rack Attack gots planz. Oh yes.

What's that? You want to know more? Well, ok!

One idea I had was to host a bowling party, and instead of making people pay to bowl and rent shoes, have a suggested minimum participation fee. Obviously that's contingent on getting a bowling alley to donate lanes, because let's face it, if I could eat that fee, I wouldn't be so worried about getting donations!

A few years back, I helped my friend Kim fund-raise for her Team-in-Training marathon, which benefited the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I remember spending some time on the phone with the manager/owner of a local bowling alley, explaining to him what a nice thing it would be for him to give up a few lanes for this great cause. It took some gentle persuasion to get him to agree, but agree he did, and if I remember right, it was a great success.

So now that I live in the Twin Cities (oh so much bigger and more impersonal), I fully expected to have to call up multiple bowling alleys till I found one that wouldn't laugh me off the phone, and then sweet-talk them into donating a few lanes on some obscure night that wouldn't cost them too much business. Can't say I was looking forward to it.

Enter Park Tavern in Saint Louis Park.

Steph and I had planned on dining and strategizing there yesterday, so I was checking out their website. That's where I saw it. They actually have a POLICY on fundraising, which is basically this:

"Wanna host a fundraiser here? Ok."

That's it. No cajoling necessary. Free lanes and shoes for all.

Todd, the very nice man behind the desk, was not only extremely friendly and accommodating, but actually shared a few tips with us from a fundraiser they held for a staff member who got - and beat - breast cancer. (They raised $12,000 - yes, that's the right number of zeroes. Inspiring!!)

Needless to say, Steph and I are pumped for this event!

Stay tuned for more details, because if you're reading this, you're invited. I don't care if you live in Alaska, or have never met me. You're invited.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A bunch of friends and I just had lunch at a place called Buffalo Wild Wings. Not a place we would normally go, but 20% of the proceeds (all day, not just lunch) are going to Relay for Life. Maybe you could find a restaurant willing to do something similar.

salwa said...

It's funny you should say that - a coworker of mine is also walking the 3-Day, so we plan on calling some restaurant and setting something up just like that! I didn't know BWW does that though, I might check them out. Thanks for the tip! :-)