Sunday, July 13, 2008

Vacation!! (er...training update)

Last weekend we got back from a wonderful vacation to Glacier National Park in MT! Given that we spent about 17 or 18 hours in the car each way, and a good bit of time driving around there, I'm happy that we still logged at least 37 miles of hiking for the trip. It was a pretty active vacation, so I'm not too worried about having gotten behind on my training, even if I didn't quite get all the miles in!

I think the best part of it was that we were there over my birthday (I'm 27, folks!) and we did our absolute favorite hike on that day, to Iceberg Lake. I like the concept of doing something special on one's birthday, and I would say this sure as heck qualified!

The mountains were just beautiful. We got weather ranging from 55/rainy to 95/sunny, hiked over all sorts of terrain (plains, fields, rocky, creek-filled, snow-covered), went white-water rafting (nowhere near as cool as the river we did in Costa Rica, but that's ok), saw some wildlife (moose, deer, a toad, cows - yes, cows - mountain goats, a marmot, prairie dogs, elk from a distance, and a large, black spider in the snow, which just didn't seem natural) and generally just had a fabulous time!

Here are a few pictures from the trip:

Day 1 in Glacier National Park!


Gorgeous mountains


From the Going-to-the-Sun Road


On the Iceberg Lake Trail


By Iceberg Lake!

No comments: