Sunday, May 25, 2008

Baklava Sale

For those of you who don't know, I'm Egyptian (by blood; American-Egyptian by nationality), and my mom makes the best baklava you'll ever taste. Yes, baklava is originally a Greek dessert, but Egyptians have adapted it and made it their own, and my mom's is simply amazing.

Last weekend, I finally made the time to sit down and learn the family secret. We even got my brother to help! It was a lot of fun, and though I know what I need to do differently next time, it turned out pretty well for my first try!

The next day I took the two batches of baklava to work and placed plates strategically around the office area, and a full pan in the lunchroom. I posted signs and envelopes or boxes with each batch, explaining that there was a suggested donation and that all the money was going towards my fund-raising efforts for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. It was interesting to see which locations yielded the best sales, and when it wasn't all gone by ~4pm, I adjusted accordingly the following day.

At the end of the second day, there were only a few pieces left, and I collected about $100, not including those who chose to go online to donate!!

Thanks to everyone who donated and I'm glad you liked the baklava! Next time it'll probably be free as usual ;)

Hard at work in the kitchen


Sultan joins me :)


The finished product...yum!


In the lunchroom


A closer look at the sign

2 comments:

mike said...

Good job on the successful (and creative) fundraising!

Anonymous said...

Great fundraising idea!

While you're spreading the word about the Breast Cancer 3-Day, if you run across anyone who would like to participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day this year but does not want to walk, we're looking for volunteer crew members for all positions, including medical professionals.

Crew members commit four full days to the event (Thursday to Sunday) and must be 18 years or older. Anyone interested in joining the crew can contact coaches@the3day.org or 800.996.3DAY.

Thanks!