Thursday, May 8, 2008

First Fundraising Event...

I have my first fundraising event coming up in less than two weeks here! I'll be having a garage sale...in Lauderdale. With the belongings of my good friends Natalie and Jordan.

Let me explain.

Natalie and Jordan are moving away, which is sad for me, good for them, and an entirely separate story. Because there's so much going on at the end of May, they weren't planning on having a garage sale, even though they had stuff they wanted to get rid of.

Well, I was telling Natalie about some of the fundraising stuff the speaker at my informational meeting had talked about, dismissing the garage sale since I live in an apartment, when she said that I could have one at her place. (I don't think the excitement that shone on my face left room for the possibility that she was joking, so hopefully she wasn't!)

Lauderdale is having a city-wide garage sale on Saturday May 17th, and Natalie and Jordan are super-nice enough to let me come over and sell their stuff and put all the money towards my 3-Day.

I have a ton to do to prepare, but I'm pretty excited! Jake and I both have some stuff at that was slated for Goodwill that we'll bring (yes, I've coerced him into helping me that day), and I've put up a sign at work and have had coworkers bringing in stuff to contribute to the garage sale.

I've scoped out sales at Supertarget, bummed a visit to Costco, and bought bottled water, pop, and candy to sell.

I still need to figure out how to price things. I haven't been to a garage sale since I was a kid. The speaker at the informational meeting didn't price anything at hers, but a quick poll amongst my friends and coworkers seems to suggest that I should. Then should I over-price them in anticipation of people haggling? Will people still haggle knowing the money's going towards a good cause? And what price range am I working with here? I don't know the unwritten garage sale "rules!"

Feel free to dispense advice. Ready, go.

No comments: